Introducing ‘Six Months to Get a Life’

I have always been a writer but recent life events have convinced me that the time is now right for me to become an author.

Meet Graham Hope, the principal character in my first book.  Graham is a newly divorced dad of two. On the day Graham’s divorce is confirmed, Graham sets himself six goals that can collectively be summarised as ‘getting a life’. ‘Six Months to Get a Life’ charts Graham’s progress in achieving his goals.  How does he come to terms with being a ‘part-time dad’? How will his kids cope? Can he get over his ex? Will he get back on the property ladder this side of the third millennium? Will he learn to trust another woman? Will he ever even meet another woman? Basically, will he ever have sex again?

Despite those who know me probably disagreeing, this book is not my autobiography. It does draw upon personal experiences, feelings and anxieties. But other than that, it is a work of fiction.

Over the coming months I will use this blog to test out some ideas. There will no doubt be some shameless self-promotion but I also really hope that others will read this, maybe empathise or even disagree with how the characters are developing or the emotions they are showing.  Silence is boring so please, if you are reading this, give me a shout.

8 thoughts on “Introducing ‘Six Months to Get a Life’

1. thenarcissistwrites May 26, 2014 / 6:22 pm

Very cool! Are you self-publishing?

• Ben Adams May 26, 2014 / 7:51 pm

It’s early days yet, not sure. I guess ideally not!

2. Jenny Grey May 28, 2014 / 5:56 am

Can you please let me know when your book is published, I have a very dear friend that I think it will help. Thank you

• Ben Adams May 28, 2014 / 7:43 am

Jenny, I am still getting to know how all this technical stuff works but I think that if you ‘follow’ this blog, you should get an alert. Anyway, it will hopefully be sometime in the autumn.
      Ben

3. scott May 28, 2014 / 7:05 am

Is it James or Graham Hope?

Lovin the idea so far Ben.

• Ben Adams May 28, 2014 / 7:49 am

Scott, maybe Graham was schizophrenic but he is now all Graham!
      Thanks
      Ben

4. Susan Buchanan June 24, 2014 / 8:00 am

Love the sound of this. I am a big fan of Nick Hornby, and what you’ve outlined leads me to believe this might be right up my street. All the best with it. Susan

• Ben Adams June 24, 2014 / 10:27 am

Thanks Susan. You have set some high standards for me to live up to!
      Ben