I quit my job today!

champagne bottle

This week is a momentous week. I have officially handed in my notice. I have quit my job.

I leave on 30th April.

I will be saying goodbye to lots of fantastic work colleagues, all of whom care passionately about their work and the good that it brings to others.

I will also be saying cheerio to a regular salary, good banter at the water cooler, regular supplies of cake and paid annual leave too. Gulp.

And all because I want to be a full-time author.

I want to spend my days inventing and crafting stories. Having written my debut novel, Six Months to Get a Life, I now know that being an author is my passion of choice. It’s what I want to do. It’s what I want to be known for.

I have learnt something about myself over the past few years. When I respect myself, all is well in my world. I feel confident to face life’s challenges. I feel ten feet tall. I am proud that I have taken the decision to give writing a real chance.

But quitting my job is a huge financial gamble. I am a predominantly single dad and have a mortgage to pay. This will be the first time in my adult life that I haven’t brought home a regular salary. Some people may call me selfish for putting my family’s financial future at risk for the sake of a dream. They may be right.

Before writing my resignation letter, I took a long, hard look at my two boys. What would the impact of my decision be on them? They may have less fancy holidays in the future, but they will have a newly energised dad. And one who will be there to see them off to school and to welcome them home in the evenings. On balance, I am confident that I am making the right decision.

If it doesn’t work out, I can always get another job. Even in that case, when I look at myself in the mirror as I am shaving on the morning that I start my new job, I will nod to myself and be satisfied that at least I gave my dream every chance of succeeding.

Talking of resignation letters, I thought it would be fun to reproduce the resignation letter that Graham Hope, the protagonist in Six Months to Get a Life, writes to his employers. My own letter may differ slightly from the below, but one thing’s for certain, it won’t be dull!

“Hello soon-to-be-ex-colleagues,

After ten years of paper-shuffling, I am putting the world of logistics behind me and moving on to bigger and better things.  I can honestly say that I can’t wait to go, and if any of you lot had any balls, you would jump too before you are pushed.

I will not miss being required to spend half my life thinking about blue skies or what is outside a box.  I am sick of cheap tea bags and can’t face another stale egg mayo sandwich.  Away-days are tedious beyond belief and appraisals aren’t worth the paper they are written on.  I won’t miss pretending not to notice Daniel’s tongue hanging out whenever Sarah walks in to the office.  I didn’t miss Sarah snogging Dean the post-room apprentice at last year’s Christmas party.

I will, however, miss Sheena from accounts.  I will miss being paid whilst spending the whole of the first half of 2012 searching online for Olympic tickets – I got loads in the end.  I will miss inserting rude words into lengthy performance reports just to see if anyone actually reads them.  After ten years of doing this, I can categorically say that they don’t.  Basically, I will miss the money. I am not sure I have earned it but it has come in useful.

Don’t bother writing a card or having a collection. I never put a penny into your birthday, wedding or new baby cards so I wouldn’t want you to have to feel you should contribute to a leaving card for me.  Actually, Danny boy, I hope you don’t mind but when your birthday collection came round a couple of months ago I was a bit skint at the time so I took a couple of quid out and paid for my lunch with it.

Love and kisses.

Graham”

(Extract from ‘Six Months to Get a Life

19 thoughts on “I quit my job today!

1. Wendy Clarke March 18, 2015 / 10:22 am

Welcome to the world of full time writing (eh hem! I won’t mention the dog walking, coffee drinking and timewasting I do). Wishing you the very best of luck – I am certain you’ve done the right thing and as you say, if you haven’t, you can always get another job.

• Ben Adams March 18, 2015 / 10:43 am

Thanks Wendy. Feeling euphoric one minute, then scared s***less the next!

2. davidprosser March 18, 2015 / 10:58 am

I wish you the very best of luck Ben. I hope your books turn into bestsellers so you don’t need to work and can still give the boys their exotic holidays.

3. ekatemari March 18, 2015 / 11:32 am

Good luck! Well done on having the guts to take the plunge and stick to your decision – there are certainly a lot of people out there who wish they could work up the moxie to do the same. All the best, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! 🙂

• Ben Adams March 18, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Thanks Kate. Moxie or stupidity – only time will tell. Ps. I love your ‘little crocodile’ blog.

• ekatemari March 18, 2015 / 2:11 pm

Thanks Ben! Likewise for yours 🙂

4. 1authorcygnetbrown March 18, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Congratulations on the promotion to entrepreneur! I am working for my turn to come next!.

• Ben Adams March 18, 2015 / 12:12 pm

Entrepreneur. Therein lies the challenge! Fingers crossed for you that you can take your turn.

• 1authorcygnetbrown March 18, 2015 / 2:20 pm

It takes a little more than good luck, I think! Time to get out the overalls and get to work!

5. earlyburly March 18, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Well done Ben on taking a leap of faith. Hats off to you for following your dreams. Not enough people in the world do. I one day hope to do the same. Looking forward to reading your future work.

6. Jessica Bayliss March 19, 2015 / 9:37 am

Good luck!!!! I wish you only success. And that way, you can prove to the rest of us that our time will come too.

7. jenanita01 March 19, 2015 / 10:10 am

Have to applaud your courage, Ben, but I know exactly how you feel. I would starve, rather than work at something other than my writing. But I am retired, and have the luxury of a modest pension, so I can do what I love and nothing else.
    Sending you all the luck I can muster, and more power to your writing implement!

8. danabeesvoice March 20, 2015 / 3:01 pm

Best news ever, Ben! I love to read about something following their passion. Writing can be a cruel master, but it also gives a lot back. And damn, it’s just fun! Congratulations – btw, love Graham’s letter!

9. G.P Williamson March 20, 2015 / 7:32 pm

Good luck sir. Did exactly that three years ago. God another job two years later. Respect for following your dream! Still hoping to walk that path may your journey be as rewarding as it is admirable! Good luck. GPWPoetry. Shared on twitter.

10. T.O. Weller March 23, 2015 / 12:11 am

I go away for four days, and look what I missed! Congratulations Ben! Let the adventure begin!

11. Stuart Lennon March 23, 2015 / 3:28 pm

Congratulations Ben! Set your mind to it and crack on. I’m sure that you will be fine. Good luck.

12. lucciagray April 2, 2015 / 12:51 pm

Good luck! That was really brave of you. I hope it works out, and if it doesn’t, as uou sat, you can always find another job and feel proud you tried.

13. Susan Mary Malone May 12, 2015 / 2:56 pm

There is nothing quite like the world of full-time writing! It’s crazy, but the best life in the world–I wouldn’t have it any other way!
    So pat yourself on the back. You embody that quote commonly attributed to Goethe (although discrepancy exists :), “Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
    Welcome to the journey!